The creation of labels, stickers, printed flannels, or advertising posters, is the hobby or the job of many individuals.
Working with these requires vinyl cutting machines, which are basically printers that print out shapes and letters from sheets of vinyl.
Using a vinyl cutting machine is quite simple and easy. Computer designed images are simply loaded onto the vinyl cutter. This can be done via a wired connection or through WiFi or Bluetooth. After this, the vinyl is loaded into the machine. The machine then automatically cuts through the design that has been set.
Vinyl is mainly of two types– Heat transfer vinyl is used to apply designs to fabrics, like t-shirts, bags, etc. Adhesive vinyl is used for store windows, signage, car decals, etc.
The 9 best vinyl cutting machines of 2020 are-
Ovovo Vinyl Cutting Machine
This 33 inch vinyl cutting machine comes with an illuminated LCD screen, with large control buttons, which makes its use simple and easy. One can easily adjust the speed and force of the machine by a single touch.
It also has two fully adjustable pinch rollers which gives the user the freedom of using a flexible range of materials.
It is suitable for making advertisements, indoor decorations, labels, etc.
The package includes- 1*plotter machine, 1*power cord, 1*operation manual, 1*cutter holder, 1* Allen wrench, 1*serial cable, 1*parallel cable, 1*USB cable, 1* driver disk for CorelDraw and USB port; 1* Artcut 2009 CD.
- Back light LCD display for easy handling.
- Product size: 33inch with maximum paper feed of 850mm (33.4 inch). Maximum cutting width: 720mm (28.3inch)
- Plotter machine cutter pressure: 10-500 grams.
- Cutting speed: 10-800 mm per second.
- System: Pentium processor: windows XP/7/8/10 (32 and 64)
- Film type: Self adhesive vinyl film, fluorescent film, reflective film, paper.
- Package dimensions: 44.2 x 15.1 x 12 inches
- Item weight: 39.9 pounds
Overall Ratings- 3.7/5 stars.
Brother CM350E ScanNCut2
This machine is an innovation in the world of electronic cutting machines.
It features a built-in scanner which is a blessing for every artist who wishes to produce 100% unique designs. And this can now be done with just a single click.
The user can connect their PC directly and then scan the images into the machine.
A large number of shapes can be drawn and cut very precisely on the big cutting area provided by the machine.
It has a built-in 300 DPI scanner along with a big LCD touch screen and more than 600 designs.
It comes with 631 built-in designs, together with 100 quilt patterns plus 7 fonts.
- 4.85 inch large, bright, touch screen display; non-glare design.
- 300 DPI built-in scanners that allows the user to convert their scanned images into unique designs and patterns.
- 631 built-in designs, including 100 quilt designs, plus 7 lettering fonts.
- Wireless network ready transfer cut files.
- Package dimensions- 23.5 x 11.1 x 11 inches.
- Item weight: 1 pound.
- Shipping weight: 14.3 pound.
Overall Ratings– 4.2/5 stars.
Graphtec CE6000-120 Vinyl Cutter
This brand is known for its quality and long-lasting machines. Graphtec’s vinyl cutter machine does not disappoint as well!
This vinyl cutter has the ability to cut precisely and accurately, that too with a fast cutting speed.
They also provide their users with the Graphtec Studio Software. This allows the users to make original designs and use them for a range of graphic applications.
It has an auto-registration mark sensor, which is perfect for prints and cuts.
- Maximum cutting area- 47.8” x 164’
- Media widths that are compatible are 2” to maximum – 53’
- Maximum speed of cutting- 40” per second
- Maximum cutter force- 20gf – 450gf
- Media types that are compatible are painted masking film, self adhesive vinyl film, etc.
- Dimensions- 60.7” x 29” x 49.2”
Overall Ratings– 4.5/5 stars.
Sizzix Eclips2Electronic Cutter
This vinyl cutting machine comes with an improved motor that has special strength gears that result in better speed, efficiency and precision of cutting, less noise, etc.
It also has free equal lite software which enables the user to create own designs, draw and edit unique shapes for customized projects.
One can also use features like Appearance Styles, which can change the appearance of letters and shapes in no time.
Numerous shapes are also included and many more are available online.
It is a very versatile machine, which can be used for a large number of crafts.
- Auto-tracing is available.
- The speed and pressure of the machine can be varied according to the material that needs to be cut.
- It has a laser cut preview.
- The blade depth is adjustable.
- Cartridges are not required.
- Precise cutting with no rounded edges.
- Item weight- 17.38 pounds.
Overall Ratings- 3.5/5 stars.
Roland GS-24 Vinyl Cutter
The new Roland Vinyl Cutter has a new carriage and blade holder.
These have a better stability and also the ability to cut thick materials with ease.
It also offers overlap cutting and precision contour cutting.
It has 3 sheets of Roland blades and is compatible with almost all software available.
It also has an aluminum support with rollers, which provides more support.
Package includes a knife, spatula to clean the glass, and tape.
No batteries are required for its working.
- Superior power.
- Surface – 72cm.
- Allows cutting materials larger than A1 size.
- Built in rollers.
- Comes with 12 month warranty.
- Item weight: 51 pounds.
Overall Ratings– 3.4/5 stars.
US Cutter Vinyl Cutter MH 34in Bundle
It is an electronic cutting machine which is specifically designed for personal use. It is an easy to use device that enables the user to obtain clear and unique cutting projects on paper.
A USB cable is included in the pack which can be connected to the user’s computer, for easy transfer of digital creations to the device. 50 cutting templates are also included by the manufacturer, so that the user can easily start their journey into the world of scrapbooking.
The purchaser of this device will also get to access the Silhouette Shop for new models, for a period of one month.
The package includes: USB cable, Power cable, Blade holder, Pen holder, 3x 45 degrees blade.
- It is compatible with standard blades.
- Motor type: Stepper.
- Speed: 39 in/s
- Force: 350g
- Maximum cut width: 30.63 in
- OS compatibility: Windows.
- Size: 34 in
- Dimensions: 42.6 x 16.3 x 13.2 inches
- Item weight: 51 pounds
- Shipping weight: 51 pounds
Overall Ratings– 4.1/5 stars.
Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Machine
This device is extremely easy to use and a simple machine that can be used by all. It has a digitalized screen along with an USB key reader, which is basically helpful because it allows the user to start a cut without a computer.
It is mainly designed ideally for personal use and just like a home printer; it connects with your PC or Mac easily with a USB.
Instead of printing, this device uses a small blade to cut paper, vinyl, cardstock, etc.
It has a responsive touch screen and built in accessory storage, which increases its worth in the market.
The package includes 12” cutting mat, a cutting blade, and 100 preloaded designs.
- Electronic cutting machine that can cut a variety of materials.
- Responsive touch screen.
- Cuts precisely around designs.
- Perfect for making stickers, printed iron ons, etc.
- Product dimensions: 11 * 11 * 24 in.
- Item weight: 10.45 pounds.
- Shipping weight is roughly 10.6 pounds.
Overall Ratings- 4.4/5 stars.
Cricut Explore Air 2 Mint
This machine flawlessly cuts over 100+ different designs on different materials like premium vinyl, adhesive foils, cardstock, etc.
Making custom stickers or other personalized decor can become really very easy with the help of this machine.
The package includes a Cricut Premium Fine Point Blade and Housing, a Cricut 12 inch x 12 inch light grip adhesive cutting mat, a Cricut black fin point pen.
The purchaser also gets a free trial to Cricut Access.
Designs of your images or other creations can uploaded free of cost from your computer or your mobile phone using Cricut’s free design software Design Space.
- Item weight: 14 pounds.
- 2x faster cutting and writing speed.
- Can easily cut a variety of materials.
- O.8mm thick with standard blade.
Overall Ratings– 4.7/5 stars.
Xyron Creative Station
This device effortlessly applies edge-to-edge adhesive, without using any electricity or warm-up time. It has acid free, non-toxic adhesive, which provides sleek and professional results.
Accepts both 9” and 5” cartridges , which helps in minimizing the amount of waste generated and maximizing flexibility of crafts.
The device is pre-loaded with one 25 foot by 9 inch permanent adhesive cartridge.
It is helpful in making homemade cards, wedding invitations, etc.
- No-mess adhesive.
- 2 cartridge sizes.
- Laminator, sticker maker, magnet maker.
- Doesn’t need any batteries, heat or electricity.
- Product dimensions: 13.8 x 6 x 7inches.
- Item weight: 4.8 pounds.
- Material type: leather.
Overall Ratings– 4.5/5 stars.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does vinyl printing work?
Vinyl printing works on the principle of heat transfer. The machine is used to cut letters or designs from colored vinyl and heat is pressed on them onto the material on which the print needs to be transferred.
What lasts longer, screen printing or vinyl?
Screen printing always lasts longer than vinyl printing. A t-shirt that is printed using vinyl will fade out after a couple of years, while the one that is screen printed lasts for as long as the t-shirt lasts.
What kind of printer do I need to print on vinyl?
The large format inkjet printer is the best option available for professional sign makers. These are specially designed to run on roll-fed media.
Is printable vinyl waterproof?
Yes, printable vinyl is waterproof right out of package. It does not require any sprays or laminating.
Does heat transfer vinyl expire?
Heat transfer vinyl does expire after a period of about one year. If it is stored in a cool place with low humidity, then the shelf life of every paper is about a year.
Can vinyl on mugs be microwaved?
It is not recommended to put vinyl printed mugs in the dishwasher, or let them soak in the sink, or heat them in the microwave.
- Cutting accuracy- the built in blades of a vinyl cutting machine must have an advanced design so as to produce items that are cut perfectly, without any unwanted edges or other imperfections. Even a small difference of millimeters is not acceptable in these machines, since it is their job to produce absolutely error free cuttings.
- Power- the blades of the vinyl cutting machine must be powerful enough to make perfect cuts in a single pass. These blades should be designed by the best engineers so as to avoid any errors.
- Security- the machine must be safe for pets and children. The parts of the machine must be safe enough to not cut or hurt children or animals in any way.
- Quality of the blades- the blades are the main elements of a vinyl cutting machine. Once the blades are damaged, the entire machine can be considered to be damaged. Hence, while buying a vinyl cutting machine, one should always check the quality of the blades to ensure durability of the product.
- Guarantee and support- the manufacturer must offer a good warranty period plus technical support according to the qualities of the machine.
- Design software included- vinyl cutting machines should have their own program or application for cutting operation.
- Connectivity- a vinyl cutting machine should connect with any computer, without any difficulty
- Angle of rotation- the cutting blades of a vinyl cutting machine must always be free to rotate and must be able to make any movements comfortably while cutting, so the best outcome is received.
A vinyl cutting machine is therefore a necessity for people who work with designs. It makes their life much easier and allows them to be creative and innovative with their designs and prints.
Selecting the ideal vinyl cutting machine may be a tough job, but once you do so, the later part is quite easy and comfortable.
The best part of having a vinyl cutting machine is that its working does not require any kind of rocket science!
It is as simple to use as any other normal printer.
A single limitation of these otherwise amazing vinyl cutting machines are that only solid colors of vinyl can be used for cutting shapes.
For designs having various colors, each color needs to be cut separately.
In simple words, vinyl cutting machines are a blessing for the people who want to devote and dedicate themselves completely to the creation of labels, stickers, etc, not just as a hobby, but also as a profession.
Thanks for reading this article. Please leave your feedback!